Blood Pressure Policy
- Blood pressure should be taken on all new patients over 21 years old.
- Baseline measurement should be established on all patients 21 years or older and every 3 years afterward.
- Blood pressure should be taken when co-morbidities exist.
- Blood pressure should be taken on patients currently taking any type of medication (i.e.- high blood pressure, birth control etc)
- Blood pressure should be re-taken at a following appointment with a previous reading of 140/90.
- No treatment to be completed, with a recommendation for medical consult if a reading is 180/110 or greater
Blood Pressure Classifications
Dental Management Recommendations
|Normal||<120 and <80||Regular dental care|
|Pre-Hypertension||120-139 or 80-89||Regular dental careadvise patient of BP|
|Stage 1 Hypertension||140-159 or 90-99||Regular dental carerecommend MD consult|
|Stage 2 Hypertension||>160 or >100||Re-check BP in 5 min;non-invasive care only;definitive emergency
careonly if BP is 180/110; refer to MD.
|Hypertensive crisis||>220 or >120||Recheck BP in 5 min; nodental care until corrected;refer
to MD for immediatefollow up.